To spice things up a little bit, Chris and I have been to 3 new restaurants on our last 3 date nights. We've always loved to try to new places instead of going to the typical chain restaurant. I'll be the first to admit that our cute little 'small town' of Cary is lacking in the area of fun, eclectic restaurants. Sooooo we had to venture out to Durham and downtown Raleigh for these new places. Chris' parents have been so gracious to come babysit so we can have a few hours to ourselves. Ok, so here we go...
#1
I know you're wondering why I picked the place that you can't hardly pronounce the name but it really has a great atmosphere inside and the food was amazing! It's located in Durham and some of the food on the menu is very authentic German food, if that's your cup of tea. I've heard they have great brunch food, too. I opted for a seafood dish (pan roasted flounder) and it came in a sweet corn sauce, which I wish I could eat every day of my life. SO yummy! They have awesome light fixtures hanging all over to create a snazzy atmosphere.
The only drawback to this place was the lack of A/C on the night we went. It was a hot August night, one of the days where you start glistening (ok fine, sweating) while walking 10 steps from your car into the restaurant. We went upstairs because we thought it would be cooler near the ceiling fans, but yes hot air rises! We would have considered dessert, but I was ready to bounce outta there and blast the A/C on my face in the car. If it wasn't for the heat, I would have given this place 5 stars. Would highly recommend this little treasure in Durham.
#2
This place is awesome in my opinion & worth every ounce of 5 stars. It's located in Durham, and the food is delish! It's a little pricey because most of the items on the menu come from local farmers. All the coffee is fair trade. The environment isn't super fancy, which we like. Chris would never pick a place that screams 'fine dining' or has candlelight/white tablecloths. That's not how we roll. I ordered a pork dish, but I don't see it on the menu anymore so it may have been a seasonal item. The pic below is what it looked like (yep it tasted as scrumptious as it looks). The service was awesome, and we felt like we were BFF with our waiter by the time we left. Gotta love that. They seated us without a reservation, but I would def recommend having a reservation at this place. I would encourage you to try this place just once and support our local farmers... you'll want to go back... again ... and again... and again. Just warning ya. :)
#3
I have to go ahead and preface that my review of this place might be very different than other people. I've heard some people LOVE this place. It's definitely a restaurant that creates an urban feel... writing the menu on the wall, drinking out of mason jars, getting sodas in the bottles, sitting on stools instead of chairs. It's located in downtown Raleigh, which is the perfect place for a new urban restaurant. It draws a variety of people, and the food was good. If we are using Coldstone's like-it, love-it, gotta-have-it scale, I'd say my food would be a love-it. The Hubs and I both got chicken biscuits (with honey of course.... beasley's chicken & honey... get it!??!) and mac & cheese and 2 sodas which set us back about $30. To me, that seems like a pretty penny for what we got. The other issue I had with this place was the menu, or lack of. The night we went, there were 2 options for the main course so I guess I just like a few more options. Overall it was fun, and I'm glad we checked out this new joint, but we probably won't be going here on date night again.
Has anyone else gone to any of these places? What do you rate them?
Do you have any suggestions for fun date night restaurants in the area?
No comments:
Post a Comment