This is for all the moms out there who think the idea of homemade baby food sounds completely daunting and time consuming. I was right there with you. Just the thought of it sounded totally overwhelming... and some days it's overwhelming enough to get the kiddo AND a packed diaper bag in the car without having a meltdown. I didn't need to add one more thing that would add a stress into our daily routine.
So I'm here to vouch that having a stash of baby food in the freezer might be one of the best things ever AND it doesn't take a headache to get make it happen. Don't get me wrong, we still use majority of baby food from the jar but it's nice to have it there if you need it. So far I've made a batch of apples and 2 batches of sweet potatoes. If I can do this, you can definitely do it! Promise!
Here is how I made applesauce yesterday.
1. Peel and core and slice the apples. I used a mixture of sweet-tasting apples that were on their last leg (already kinda soft, but not rotten)
2. Put apples in large pot and barely cover with water.
3. Boil until soft.
4. Place apples in blender & add a little water for desired consistency. I used a blender that my mom gave me to make smoothies. It makes one glass full so it's nice to use for baby food & not have to clean out the big blender.
5. Pour applesauce in ice cube tray and freeze.
6. Put frozen cubes in plastic freezer bag & label w/ date and what it is. And wha-lah you're done!
Does anyone else have a recommendation for an easy food to make in bulk like this?
I bet there are some crock pot recipes for baby food out there! Although that is a total guess! :)
ReplyDelete