Life with Chris, Marie, and Jacob

Friday, June 29, 2012

Fun Fact Friday

We all know my husband is slightly famous in our circle of friends for sharing important completely random fun facts on occasion... especially around 4th of July events.  Let's just be honest, he can't help himself.  He just loves that good ole US history too much.  So I thought it might be appropriate to share fun facts along the way on the blog.  These may or may not become a weekly thing.  And they may or may not be fun or applicable for you... just warning ya!  :)  I don't have the salesman one-liner humor like the Hubs and I definitely don't have the passion for history like him... so you'll get my version of randomness (hello, that's what this blog thing is all about anyways, right!? ha).

Fun Fact:  I am now our family hairdresser/barber.
(whaaaaaaat?!?!  I know.)

Here's how this went down.  Chris was paying $25 for a haircut + $5 tip = $30 EACH MONTH.  That adds up folks!  Now since Jacob is a split image of his dad and has identical hair and also needs a haircut each month (since he was born!!), and that really starts to add up.  This past week we went to my fav store (TJMaxx) and found a kit that included buzzers, hair scissors, comb, and all these extra gadgets that I'll never use, much less know what their purpose is.  I think it was like $16.99 so we already saved some cash in this endeavor.

I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone.  (I think girl's hair is different... no way would I cut a girl's hair.  Not yet at least.)  If you have a guy in your fam or a guy friend, it might be worth considering.  It saves a lot of cash and it's really easy.  The more you practice, the better you'll get (at least that's what I'm telling myself), so maybe start on a guy who doesn't care too much what it looks like.  I have a gracious husband with a TON of cal-licks (sp?) so the first time was more frustrating to me than it was to him because I couldn't get everything even the way I wanted to.  I cut it for the 2nd time a couple days ago and it went much better.  

1)  Start with the buzzers.  I buzz the back of his head, starting at the bottom all the way straight up around his head to about top-of-the-ear level. (PS - all of these pics are 'after' pics.  I didn't get any while I was cutting)


2) Next, bust out the scissors.  I even up the buzzed part with scissors if I missed any chunks.  This includes me pulling the hair with my fingers to make sure the length is even on both sides.  

 (if I wasn't holding the camera, you would see me doing the exact same thing on the right side to compare)
 

3)  I did the sides next.  I work my way around from back to front, taking it slow, checking as I go to make sure I didn't just royally screw it up at any point.  I have to keep stepping back to look at it, so yes this whole process takes awhile.  ;)  Trimming around the ears and sideburns, too.


4)  Next, I went for the top.  I tried to ignore the very front part and worked front to back this time (without touching his bangs).  Chris' hair is really thick so I felt like I was cutting a ton, but it ended up being just fine.   This part ends up blending with the sides but the hair is significantly longer.  I ain't trying to give him a military cut... let's be honest, Chris will probably always have a mix of the frat boy shag and the 'big boy' clean haircut.  NEVER will he be buzzed because his cal-lick would be too amazing as it grew out and stick straight up.  Yes, just like Dennis the Menace. 

5)  Finally, I trimmed the front.  I didn't want it to look too straight across in the middle. He still has a little of his classic shag look going on. 


That's probably way more detail than you ever wanted to know, but that's my fun fact for the day!  Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.  I know we'll be trying to stay cool in this 108 degree weather.  Whew!  Hello summertime in Nashville!

No comments:

Post a Comment