The thought has crossed my mind 'Am I a border-lined hoarder?' That's right, I keep things. Lots of things. I can't tell you how many random picture frames have moved with us many times that I have collected from yard sales or Target clearance sections that I have never once used. My reasoning always resorts back to the thought that I miiiiiiiight need it one day. Does anyone else do this???
I am like my dad in many ways and I think I may have gotten the skill set of keeping things from him. I have taken it to a new level though. In general, Dad likes to keep things and Mom likes to throw things out. Everyone in our family knows that. I have taken the 'Let's keep it just in case' mentality to the next level and have acquired boxes and boxes of who-knows-what. It's all being stored in the garage at the moment, but lately I have had a strong desire to PURGE.
So all you Nashville friends get ready. When we move into our house in a month, I might just make an overflowing giveaway/yard sale pile as I unpack things. If I haven't needed it in the past 6 months while it's been collecting dust in the garage or if I completely forgot I owned it, I probably should feel the freedom to toss it or sell it, right?
I never want to value 'stuff.' It's often hard in our country because we are surrounded by materialism ALL over the place. It shows itself in ways that we are not even aware of until we actively remove ourself from it. I realized this when I moved to Argentina. I realized what a strong bondage our nation has on materials and the comforts they provide. We feel entitled to them and expect them. Houses... cars... clothes... holy cow, weddings!! (It's truly amazing how much money is poured into weddings.) I have to remember that I had 2 duffel bags of stuff for 14 months and survived quite well.
I think the reason I hold on to things might be that a piece of my heart feels ownership of them. Not ownership like I paid $2 at the checkout line in Target for the pic frame so now I get to own it & take it home. I'm talking about the ownership of who ultimately has control. I never want to hold so tightly to any possession that I control it. Cuz I don't. I never will. EVERYthing in this world belongs to the Lord. I want to be willing in my heart to let any item go at any point if I need to, remembering that it's the Lord's and He may want someone else to have it. (this is me working through this as I type it out, and my introverted self never ever does this, just so you know). I know along the way that Jacob will either destroy it or I will break it or a dog will bury it or it will get lost, so I shouldn't hold anything too closely or get upset that it gets messed up. It's just 'stuff' in the end, and it's not even MY stuff. :)
Also, I really value organization and it's hard to feel organized with a bunch of clutter all over the place. One of the best things about moving in my opinion is that you have a clean slate to organize everything and find it's new place in your home. Ok, I'll quit rambling now and here is a shoutout to a little of my inspiration for the new house...
Hope everyone has a great, clutter-free Friday! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment