Life with Chris, Marie, and Jacob

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Parker's Story


Parker Stephen.

The name was picked out a few months ago. 
Parker was my grandma's maiden name and Stephen is Chris' middle name.
September 19th was my original due date, and when he measured big on the ultrasound it was changed to September 12th.

I have to go ahead and say that my first impression of my doctor here in Nashville was wonderful.  He has delivered babies longer than I've been alive.  He's delivered 7,500 babies! Celebrities go to him.  My friends from church go to him. He is a Christian man who held our hands and prayed with us at our first appointment.

Everything was going great and then the doc talked about inducing earlier than the 12th (as early as the 7th) so when we had this what-seemed-to-be non-negotiable conversation at 33 weeks along, he almost got the boot (I held the tears in until we got to the parking lot that day).  He wasn't kind and he didn't respond well when I asked him why he wanted to induce. I almost changed doctors. Like I almost signed up to have a stranger deliver my baby who would let me wait until Parker was ready to come.  I wasn't excited about him changing the due date in first trimester and I wasn't especially keen on him inducing me early.  I was 5 days late with Jacob and that chunker was healthy when he came out!  It was hard for me to let go of control and let go of my first experience with labor/delivery/etc and fully trust.

So I released control.  I chose to trust.  I forked that hard convo up to the doc having a bad day. I called my doc from Raleigh to confirm the induction wasn't a crazy idea and she agreed it wasn't.  And we set the date for me to be induced on September 10th at 6am.

Here's how the morning of Sept 10th panned out...
5:00am -- Chris and I rolled up to the hospital and started paperwork
5:30am -- Chris and I sit in a lobby with a bunch of other super preggo people waiting to be induced.  Lots of uncomfortable mommas in there.
...and we waited... and waited...
7:00am -- We got to the L&D room that was way bigger than the size of our living room.  Seriously I have no clue why that room needs to be that big unless people bring in an army to witness all the loveliness that is about to happen.  The sweet nurse tells me that I'm already 4 cm and I'm having contractions 3-5 min apart.  What?!?!?!?  I had no clue.  No wonder I was uncomfortable in that lobby chair!  Parker dropped 3 weeks prior so I'm gonna blame all the pressure to be the reason why I didn't know I was having contractions. (Parker was gonna make his appearance on Sept 10th whether I got induced or not)
7:15am -- Doc comes in and breaks my water.  It didn't hurt at all.  They hook me up with pitocin.
9:15am -- I'm at 6cm and def feeling contractions hard now.  The lab comes back with bloodwork results and I get the epidural.  That joker was amazing and I couldn't feel any more pain. (I didn't have this luxury with my epidural for Jacob).  I ate some 'blue slushie' which tasted like frozen koolaid and it was amazing. It was more fun at the moment than ice cubes and that was my only other option to 'eat'.  Chris and I spent the next 2 hours watching the monitor to see how bad the girl next door is fighting through contractions.  We could see the monitor for her and me.  And we knew she chose to go natural without drugs.  whew.
11:30am -- nurse comes in to check me and I'm at 10cm!  It felt like everything was flying along.  She calls the doc and tells him not to go to lunch cuz he needs to deliver this baby.  And of course I ate some more blue slushie.
11:50ish -- I get the 'labor dose' of drugs in my epidural.  If they asked me whether I wanted more drugs, you better believe I said yes.  I'm sure we'll get billed for this later but in the moment this seemed like a great decision!  :)  
12:06pm -- I pushed 3 times and out comes Parker!  He didn't cry immediately because he was so full of fluid.  The doc suctioned it out and then we heard those sweet cries!  I couldn't believe he was already here! The doctor did a fabulous job and I was so glad he was my doctor!  His expertise and knowledge was so evident in the way he handled every single detail of Parker's delivery that day.  He knows what he's doing!  
12:15pm -- The nurses handed him over to me for an hour of skin-to-skin time which they encourage all moms to do now.  It was precious time with Parker.  That feeling of holding your infant right after they are born is one like no other.  I had quickly forgotten what that felt like until they put Parker on my chest and I was so excited to finally see him and hold him.  My heart overflows.

Birth
Weight:  8lbs 8oz
Height: 20 1/2 in

Over the next couple days in the hospital and a few days once we got home, we had time to truly enjoy Parker and process his arrival.  I loved this sweet time!  It was like food for my soul! Those words don't even do it justice at how I felt. We don't have family that lives close by, and we didn't have a ton of visitors in the hospital this time.  We carved out time after we got home to embrace Parker and this transition with the 4 of us.  I needed this so much and I'm so grateful for this time.   Our little family of 4 is adjusting well and I am really enjoying our new little guy.  I can't get enough of all the baby sounds and sleepy smiles and newborn cuddles.  He is just precious! 



I'm grateful that my recovery has been much easier this time, too.  The Lord is gracious.  My energy level is higher than I expected it to be so I've been able to get out and care for my family more.  Chris has been a lifesaver too and he's jumped right in with helping in every single way... dishes, laundry, diapers, Jacob, etc. He is awesome! I don't know what I would do without him.


Jacob is being an awesome big brother!  He kisses Parker's head and loves to have Parker hangout in his bed under his covers with him so Jacob can read him books.  Jacob lets me know when Parker is awake or asleep when we are driving in the car.  Jacob randomly will stop what he's doing and look at Parker and say 'Aw hey cutie!'  Jacob will sing to him and he's nicknamed him 'Nugget' and 'Parks' and 'Poptart'.  Jacob will hear Parker crying in another room and scream out 'Heyyy Parker, you OK???' at the top of his lungs.



Parker weighed 7lbs 15 oz when we left the hospital and the next day at the doctor he was up to 8lbs 4oz. We went back for the 2 week appointment and everything looked good.  He has some gas issues & doesn't go #2 enough according to what is 'normal' but we are hoping that works itself out in the next few weeks.  

2 week checkup
Weight: 9lbs 4oz (72%)
Height: 22 1/4in  (99%)
Head  14.5 (84%)

We are so blessed by this sweet healthy boy!  Praising the Lord for his life and what a joy it is to be able to be his momma.  :)


1 comment:

  1. I love him!! I can't wait to meet him, you are a beautiful mama!

    ReplyDelete