Life with Chris, Marie, and Jacob

Monday, November 7, 2011

Savannah Half

We had SUCH a great time this past weekend down in Savannah, and I can now cross off 'Run half marathon' on my bucket list! Success. :)

On Friday night, I was so anxious that I couldn't fall asleep until around 12:30 and our wake-up time was only 4 hrs later. I rolled out of bed at 4:38am with a TON of adrenaline. Don't worry, the Hubs was just as excited, if not more than me. He was PUMPED. We all jumped in the Highlander... all 7 of us... and heading into downtown Savannah. The race started on Bay Street which runs parallel to the river & has a ton of live oak trees lining the street. The sun was coming up when the race was starting. Here we are freezin' our hineys off around 7:30am waiting for our corral to be called.


The race was so great. I loved every minute of it... all the bands, free food, contagious energy, random strangers cheering you on from their yards. It was awesome! The race was NOTHING like training. It went by really fast and I was constantly distracted by all the 'interesting' people running the race next to me. Some old men felt the need to yell random things at the top of their lungs & some girls wore tutus. For the first time, I witnessed the culture of runners... it's a whole culture. Lots of people who LOVE running and love spandex and love to be in shape. :) For most of the race, I wasn't sure what mile I was on or what my pace was. I was just truckin along and before I knew it I was on mile 10 and I only had 3 more to go. That was the hardest point cuz my legs got pretty tired around mile 10, but I made it all the way without stopping and I crossed that finish line at 2 hr 7 min!! My pace was 9 min 44 sec/mile. Chris and Jacob were my cheerleaders at mile 8 and 13. It was so fun to see them on the sidewalk cheering!!! It gave me a boost of energy to finish strong.

Here we are right after we finished.
Brit, Kelly & Jen -- couldn't have done it without yall!


Little family shot.
Jacob was bundled up & ready for any unexpected snow storm.


So thankful for my biggest cheerleader!


We ate a good lunch with a ton of carbs & calories to celebrate, and then went back to Tybee Island where we were staying & took showers. The rest of the day was spent napping & chillin & eating pizza and ice cream for dinner. I found out that Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream might be my new favorite. Holy cow, amazing. On Sunday, we headed into Savannah again to explore before we headed home.

Of course we had to grab Starbucks...


and check out the gorgeous old houses and trees...


We grabbed some lunch & found a sweet candy store down by the River and then called it a day.

What a fabulous weekend!
Thanks girls for encouraging me to sign up for this. It was so much fun with yall!
And if any of you are wondering, I'm not ruling out the possibility of signing up for another half marathon one day. :) It was THAT fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment